Thursday, April 17, 2008

COCKROACH!!!!!!!

Okay, my mother warned me when moving to Florida, the bugs get bad. Well, when we lived in Gainesville I honestly do not remember a single bug in our apartment. I am not saying they weren't there, we just never saw one. Well, we have been in this house for almost 2 month and this is the 4th roach I have seen. AHHH! I HATE bugs especially ones that crunch when you step on them. The big guy in the pictures was in my kitchen. MY KITCHEN OF ALL PLACES! I JUST scrubbed the floor yesterday too, so guess I will have to do it again during naptime today. Anyway, he was on his back but his antenae were still moving a little. So, I thought, oh yeah, he's dead. I got Noah to come in and take a look at it. He kept saying Look, bug! Look Bug! He was no help to get the thing off the floor and I surely couldn't wait for Josh to come home, who usually comes home for lunch but today is eating with a couple recruits on campus. So, I tried to sweep it up into the dusting pan. Little did I know the "THING" was still very much alive and once touched, started flailing it's arms and legs for everything it was worth! I screamed, Noah screamed, it was aweful! Now, not only do I have to get rid of it, I have to KILL it too!!!! So I grabbed one of Josh's tennis shoes and dropped in on the thing.....opps missed, and the thing started moving faster. AHHH!!! I hate this, so I picked up the shoe, and started beating the thing several times. I left the shoe on it the last time I hit it, thinking, Maybe I could just leave it here covered up with the shoe, and let Josh take care of it. Great plan, until I thought about the almost one year old. Jacob would probably move the shoe, and try to eat the thing......okay, I had to clean it up. Noah and I swept it into the dust pan, antenae still moving by the way, and then flushed the sucker down the toilet. Noah did the honors and waved him a "Bye Bug! Have a good day! See ya!"


The adrenaline is still rushing....I know I am pathetic and am going to have to get over it!!!!!! I live in Florida and that is just the price I pay! But for real, that guy is HUGE!



4 comments:

Laura said...

Ahh, I totally sympathize with you! I HATE bugs too and cockroaches are the worst! I just can't handle the crunch & splatter factor. Since I'm in the same boat as you, I have to kill them myself, so I do bug spray! I keep it handy and it usually only takes a few seconds before they're gone, even though they'll sometimes try to scurry away as they're dying, but you don't have to get too close that way. Then I can just vacuum it up once it's dead. You have to clean the floor afterwards, but to me, it's worth it. Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

From one Florida girl to another, get the bug spray. Trees + old houses = big bugs. It's part of living in Florida. We will have together soon. Love Cuz Margaret

Molly said...

Ha ha ha, I am still laughing! I can SO totally relate! We have cockroaches like crazy here and they are big, too. Trust me, you learn to kill them, even chase the buggers down and smash 'em good! Why, you ask? So they don't end up in your bed...yes, it has happened to us 4 times! Yuck, yuck, yuck! By the way, don't leave one kinda smashed on the floor b/c they have a tendency to not be dead when you think they are and the evil things get away when you think they are goners! Yuck! Also, I have heard that the ones on their backs are females that have just laid their eggs...gotta love that thought! Not sure if it is true or not, but is what they say here in Peru. How's that for encouragement, my friend! :) Hey, thanks for the website... you are right, I think I'm addicted!! SOOOO cool!

Angela said...

Bug spray a must. Bug bombs a must. Do the bombs every quarter at least. Or hirer a bug man to spray. When I have a roach, I just get a bunch of paper towels and shoe. Hit it with the shoe and use the paper towels to squish it and throw it away outside. When I say a bunch of paper towels I mean enough I can't feel or hear the squish. Since I'm a native they don't bother me so much anymore, but I do hate the flying ones, those creep me out.
Good luck. You made me laugh tonight.

My Etsy