Saturday, June 07, 2008

From Trash to Treasure

A while ago I was driving around the lake and it just happened to be the night before trash. Well, I unexpectedly came across an entire patio set. It is bamboo like and included the love seat, couch, chair, and table (which was broken but all the parts were there). Josh was in volleyball practice and I had the van and the boys all by myself. These items were out by the side of the road for the taking. I couldn't just LEAVE them there! So, I opened up the back and proceeded to load the van up with ALL of this furniture. It was quite comical. I wasn't that far from the house, which was good because the back door wouldn't shut all the way. I had to tie a beach towel from the handle to the latch on the van. I put on the hazards and away we went. Whew! We made it home! I put the boys in bed and started unloading the van and putting it on the patio to surprise Josh. They weren't horrible in the Before shots, but I like them MUCH better in the after shots.



BEFORE


The Love Seat



The Couch and Chair


AFTER



It's pretty neat what some paint and some cushions can do. Not sure, but I think the total of the paint, the cushions, and the pillows totaled about $80. Not bad for a WHOLE patio set!!!


Second story, our neighbors down the road were moving. They left town and had a HUGE pile of trash out by the road. There was a dining room table and chairs, a wardrobe, just junk.... Well, I moved some of the stuff and found this kids table and chairs. I couldn't just LEAVE them there!!! So, I carried them home. They've been sitting on our porch for quite some time, but finally I got some paint and worked on them today. They aren't perfect, but will be just fine for the boys to play play dough outside or paint or something.


BEFORE




AFTER


Yes, I picked up trash.....but it was FREE and I can use it! Keep throwing those things away people! We love it!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Thank you for your sweet comment. We really appreciate it.

You are teaching me so much about re-using things. I never really thought about Craigslist until reading yours and Laura's blog. I love craigslist now. I even did some trash picking on our street. You got some great finds!

LCS is a GREAT school, my husband went there, and his cousin goes there now.
Good luck house hunting, my parents are looking for a house in LKLD now too.

Kandie Stilwell said...

You would fit right in here in Peru. Leave your trash out a few minutes and everyone is going through it, really!! But you did get some GREAT deals. Even the trash men when they pick up the trash dumps the bags out and sift through everything, now that is totally gross! I will be praying for you as you job hunt. It would be great to see you while we are home on furlough but unfortunately we don't have any supporting churches down south. Oh well...

My Etsy